An Epoxy Floor is a protective coating applied on the top of the existing floor substrate. The coat may be single or more than that on the top of the existing floor substrate. It completely depends upon the need of the hour. Epoxy coatings are fantastic products that can create great seamless resinous floors.
Benefits of Epoxy Garage Floor
- When it comes to protecting industrial and commercial floors then we can use epoxy flooring. It is the best alternative for epoxy flooring.
- Epoxy floor coating in garages provides protection from mechanical abrasion to the garage floor.
- Most of the times, the garage floor experiences a lot of wear and tear as well as a considerable amount of stress; that’s why the floor gets prone to damage from cracks from dust. This is why people use epoxy of concrete on the surface of the floor.
- The smooth surface of the concrete floor can be obtained from it which looks clean and hygienic as well. This surface is very easy to clean, and it becomes so clean that it becomes very easy to spot some dirt over it. That’s why epoxy floors are so popular. You could never get this type of cleanliness with a concrete floor, but you can gain it through an epoxy floor.
- Epoxies are very good at waterproofing the surface. They are very good because any water that falls over it does not get absorbed and not only for waterproof but for other chemical substances.
- The epoxy floors are used to protect the floors from chemicals.
- Whatever color you want to put on your floor, you can use with epoxy flooring. The epoxy flooring looks aesthetic as well as decorative which attracts people.
- Industrial floor coatings are highly water and chemical resistant.
- Epoxy floor coatings are ideal for use on a wide range of concrete and metal surfaces.
- The cost of the epoxy floors is less as compared to other marble floors. The smooth surface gives a shine to your floor which looks great and sophisticated as well.
Besides all these advantages, many times things can go wrong when applying epoxy floor products.
The epoxy flooring can fail if the surface is not prepared well. If you are going to coat epoxy on the old surface of the floor you need to make sure that surface is ready to accept epoxy coat else the epoxy will fail.
A surface needs to be properly prepared; this means it should be clean, dry, dust free. A lot of time is needed to prepare the surface properly to be able to coat it.
The second reason for an epoxy floor to fail can be a low quality of cement. This happens when the cement mix is too frail and at lasts ends up cracking.
If you don’t use a primer or if you don’t use a suitable primer, then the epoxy surface may fail. You must prime the surface when you are going to apply epoxies, make sure to use a soluble primer. The primer helps to seal the pores, penetrate the pores of the surface and thus makes the epoxies strong and durable.
Don’t use the incompatible substrate. Don’t use epoxies on wood, else your epoxies will fail as wood is very flexible. If you try putting epoxy in something that bends, the epoxy will crack because epoxy is firmer than wood. So, it is very important to use the compatible substrate with the old flooring.
These are the main reasons why epoxies can fail. But there are a lot of advantages of epoxies which are appreciable; so, people use epoxy flooring for their garages. In fact, not just only for garages but for a lot of other surfaces to give a fresh look to old floor by spending less.