Common Mistakes to Avoid During Exam Preparation

Exams are always stressful and we all look for ways to improve our level of endurance. One important aspect to take care is to not make some common mistakes. The process helps you improve your revision. Following are some of the mistakes that you need to avoid while learning:

  • Not aiming for grades

Education is definitely not only bound by grades, but they are surely important. More than how they would work for your career, it determines your own efforts towards scoring well.

When you prepare, you must have a goal in mind. You must know what you are aiming at so that it becomes easier for you to prepare that way. If you aim to score above 80% or get a grade A, you cannot be last minute reviser. Make your study environment suit your aim.

  • Relying on teachers only

Teachers would do their job but they won’t do your part. Learning a lesson is just 30% of the preparation, your own efforts would mark the rest of 70%. You can of course ask for help and solve your queries, but you cannot have them around all the time.

Understand that your lessons are your priorities and how you would get them done is only up to you. From group studies to asking your teacher for a little more time, you have to get your way through to know your subjects well enough.

  • Not starting early

Many times we think that what we have learnt in class would stay with us and we don’t need to start preparing soon. Just one month before your exams, you open your book and all the subjects seem to be in different languages to you!

Don’t postpone your preparation for tomorrow, as that is not going to work. If you aim for just a passing grade, you could not even achieve that with last moment studying. It is important to start way ahead of time to not fall back too bad.

  • Learning chronologically

When your exams are near, you cannot start off revising like you are studying for the first time. This is when you need to pick up the things that are important and not revise everything.

Start with all the important chapters and revise them well. If you have time after doing this, go onto the lesser important aspects and study them.

  • No self-tests

Before you sit for an exam, get hold of question papers of the previous years. Start solving them and then match the answers. This not only helps you test yourself, but you also start getting acquainted with how the paper would be.

When you get acquainted with common question papers, you won’t fret in the exam hall. You would have already known the patterns of questions and their required answers, and that would make you save some time.

  • Following wrong formats

It is important to attend classes and learn proper formats. You could be following other text books or your tutor, but that might not match with the method taught in school. Many times, your answers can be cancelled even if they are right.

It is wise to follow proper formats and consult with school teachers. They would tell you the requirement of authorities and you would know how to go about it.

  • Memorizing and not understanding

If you have been in the practice of mugging up, you must know that you can’t go too far. People who tend to mug up might score well till a certain age, but after that they will become incompetent.

Learning is about understanding what you study and not just mugging up answers. There will be a time when you cannot remember these or not explain to somebody who wants to know the meaning of the answer.

  • Not having a plan

Every student must have a plan that helps them reach their aim. Everybody suits their own comfort and it depends from one person to another.

Some students stay up late night to study, while some wake up early morning. Some understand and mug up, while some understand and write on their own. It is essential to accept your own plan and act accordingly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *